Monday 2 January 2012

Welcome 2012!

Happy New Year everyone!  It's already into the second day of 2012 in Australia.  My life is now going back to normal after my quiet New Year celebrations ended.  I didn't need to drink alcohol to wake up with a hangover because I already suffered the consequences of copping a migraine on NYD.

My plans to meet up with a friend on NYE didn't work out the way we wanted. Neither of us drank any alcohol because we both travelled in our own vehicles to and from our destinations. My friend lives on the other side of Brisbane so we met up at Logan Hyperdome to have dinner at Sizzlers.  After dinner we hoped to go social bowling (as both of us are league bowlers) and catch a movie at the cinema but to our surprise both the bowling alley and the cinema closed early.  The shopping complex was becoming a ghost centre so we drove in our own vehicles and met up at Mt Gravatt in hoping their AMF bowling centre was opened but no... it wasn't either.  By this stage I was getting quite cheesed because I don't believe in drinking to get highly merry and drunk while waiting around for the time to hit midnight. 

I had to call into the nearby service station to fill up my vehicle with premium unleaded fuel.  While filling up I noticed one part of the shopping centre at Garden City looked to be abit busy with parked vehicles.  I asked the service station attendant if the cinema at Garden City was opened. She replied she didn't know but my friend and I decided to take the chance and meet up there.  But the cinema was just closed when we showed up.  In the end we decided to hang around Pancake Manor and have our dessert there.  We stayed around this area talking until around 1am and then went home.

Looked like a club nearby upstairs was opened as we heard music going so I asked about it but the bouncer said it was a private function.  I believe it was false  information given because I noticed alot of younsters dressed inappropriately and are from a different culture entering this club. If this bouncer wouldn't allow us to enter because of our age and culture, that is blunt discrimination!! After a while I was glad we didn't walk in because the bass of their modern music they played at the club was far too high.  It might of been the reason why I copped a migraine by the time I arrrived home.

It's been quite a long time since I have been out on NYE so it was quite a shock to discovered most businesses that normally open until late on most days of the week closed early.  I will ask when I return to league bowling why they closed early.  I got a feeling it has something to do with wages to their staff at either double or triple time. Or the employees didn't wish to work because they prefer to party instead.

It was a very short notice plan to go out on NYE as both myself or my friend didn't want to be home alone, feeling sorry for ourselves.  Both of us have been through some form of crisis in the last few years and our festive seasons are generally the hardest time of the year to deal with.  Neither of us wanted to hanged around huge crowds at Southbank so that is why we wanted to do something different then the rest of the crowd.  But I think both of us learnt that lesson about NYE.  If we ever go out again on any future NYEs, I am going to make sure to find out what's going to be open on the night of NYE before we take the opportunity to just show up and be hopeful to do anything fun and sobber. 

Inspite trying to be the opportunist for the night with a disappointed outcome, it was worth to just been out of the house for afew hours and spend time with my new found friend from bowling. 

1 comment:

  1. I did ask about NYE times opening on Sunday night at bowling. It turns out it was the head office in Sydney who made the decision of closing all their AMF bowling centres early on NYE. The bowling manager where I bowl league or socially at, never said why it happened but it was the first time in history it happened.

    ReplyDelete