Friday 23 December 2011

Christmas is getting closer

Hi followers!  I can't believe the start of our Christmas weekend is happening from tomorrow. All the time of spending money and preparing for the festive season is almost here.  I hope all of your preparations are completed. Tomorrow I just got to go to the shops very early to purchase fresh food and do some cooking ready for Christmas Day.

I think New Zealanders who live/visit Christchurch might not have a festive season thoughts as they copped three earthquakes in their city today.  I really feel for them because I think they have copped enough earthquakes in the past 12 months or so.  Has anyone been affected by earthquakes? 

I read an article months ago stating the globe has about 200 earthquakes hit a day.  But majority of these quakes hit in non populated areas or the scale isn't high enough to make a worth while releasing to the public. 

Did you know our continents were situated as one big mainland once?  I think the huge mainland became smaller islands and smaller mainlands of countries after earthquakes and asteriods hit the planet when dinosaurs were around millions of years ago.  Right now our planet is moving 5cms north per year.  It might not sound much but I think this might be the issue to trigger more earthquakes happening throughout the globe.  I am sure our continents will reform back to one huge mainland again in thousands or millions of years time. But none of us will be around on Earth to see that event to take place.

This week is the second week of school holidays. I have been busy with things to do at home as well as being out on most days of this week.

The girls and I went to the cinema on Tuesday to see Dolphin Tale. This movie is based on a true story about WINTER who lives in a marine park in Florida.  For further details about the marine park go to http://www.seewinter.com/

On Thursday morning I decided to take the girls for a social play of bowling at Mt Gravatt Lanes. I haven't bowled in any leagues for a month and I was just about start missing my weekly plays. I overheard you can get a cheaper deal if you book to come into the centre to play before 10:30am daily.  I am not sure if all AMF centres have the same package deal but go to their website at http://www.amfbowling.com.au/ for further info.

All the best for a Merry festive weekend with your love ones.  Please play it safe on the roads!

1 comment:

  1. Did you know that we don't get major earthquakes because Australia is on one massive plate of its own? This includes Tasmania as well. The Newcastle earthquake was a surface quake and was very rare; and I was down at Brunswick Heads where we felt aftershocks from it as far north as that. It set off car alarms, caused our caravans to shake and things to tip over in our cupboards as well as push people off balance on land (however on water was another thing). I remember calling the radio station in Lismore and telling them about it... it was amazing as they didn't think the aftershocks would head that far north.

    As for NZ, since their original earthquake that struck last year, they will be suffering quakes for the next few years while the area settles. The one thing they should expect is more quakes, land settlings and grumblings as time goes on; however NZ will not be the same for some time to come as it does sit directly on a couple of faultlines.

    My thoughts and prayers are with all those who have been suffering with these quakes over the last two years. I wish them the very best as some of my friends' grandparents and friends and relatives are residents there.

    ReplyDelete