Monday 17 October 2011

Student Free Day

Hi followers! How was your weekend?  Basically we lived at the bowling alley as we had leagues and one tournament to be played.  For further details you need to read from our sporting blog. We will have another weekend to be at the bowling alley this coming weekend as my kids will be bowling into a different tournament on Sunday.

Today the kids are at home because it is their student free day.  It means only the teachers will be work without any kids. Generally the teachers use these days for meetings and further programming of their curriculum. I doesn't affect me as I am already a SAHM but I do feel sorry for the parents who have to work and need to find babysitters or use vacation care for the kids to go to.  It least it will be extra hours for childcare workers who work with school age children.

I have decided to go back into this field myself but I must study Children's Services first to gain my qualification.  I am planning to start studying next year and I have found the appropriate college instituation for it. Just need to find my field placement at a primary school who will accept me to work volunteer there two afternoons a week and work out where my youngest child goes after school. If the centre is happy with me I might get lucky and have more hours to work with pay while studying.

This course is external which means I can study from home while my girls are at school.  The course is quite flexible so they don't really have a limited time to finish before six months but I am hoping to finish my first certificate within twelve months.  I have the enrollment package emailed to me already but I am just waiting for Centrelink to pay me the money they owe as the income was under estimated for the past financial year.  This money will help me get started in January.

I read some information online last week that the education department is thinking of making some holiday changes in the future.  They think of changing our Queen's Birthday holiday to semester two as we have enough public holidays in semester one.  Also there is thoughts about two weeks off over Easter.  Really there is enough holidays as it is.  Summer is really the time I feel six weeks is too long for a break.  I think four weeks is enough over summer.  Really how many working parents are there can get 12 weeks off for holidays per year?  If parents have four weeks annual leave, why don't kids have the same?  Okay...maybe the primary age children need more holiday time but I feel the high school kids need to get used to less holiday time because once they hit the workforce after leaving school or college, they will realised what the real world out there is all about.

Guess you all have heard about the curriculum change in 2012. It means all states of Australia will have the same curriculum learnt.  I am not sure how much of an impact it will effect on students who have a learning disability or who are behind in their learning curriculum as it is.  Also each state has different terms starting and finishing too.

They are doing this because alot of students are coming from different states of the country and their level of learning is different from the rest.  South east states are more ahead then Queensland.  A couple of years ago I heard South Australia is abit behind than QLD. Not sure what Northern Territory is like.

No comments:

Post a Comment