Wednesday 22 August 2012

Birthdays

Only two days ago I turned another year older.  I can remember when I was growing up I always counted down the weeks, days and hours as a child's birthday would be the most exciting thing on their yearly agenda.  But I never really was the spoilt child to have parties with friends throughout my school years but I was still excited as I knew I would be expected to come home from school to see a birthday cake and a present from my parents and cards in the mail from my now belated grandparents, aunts and some cousins.

Compared to today's 21st century kids so spoilt with modern technology devices, I grew up from a low income family status so I only had the basics of food, clothing and shelter. Receiving a present at Christmas, Easter and Birthdays was something special because I wasn't a spoilt brat like today's unrespectful teens are of today. 

It wasn't until I become the young adult to go out partying or dinner dates for my birthday with friends. That is when I started to really enjoy celebrating birthdays with friends. I feel being with friends to share the occassion is the reason why to celebrate a new era. Was it the true meaning of celebration is what now I am missing??

Two decades on, I am starting to dislike celebrating birthdays now.  Not because I am growing older each year or happened to catch the flu but I am starting to lose my past  family members or family friends around my birthdate. This is when I realised I am not as young and vibrant person I used to be, anymore!!

Only a week ago I lost an Uncle and his funeral is currently in service at Sarina.  As much I would of like to see my extended family members this week and pay for my last respects to my Uncle, I couldn't go travelling because this flu got the better of me since last weekend.

So what's your ideal of celebrating your birthday annually?  Or are you like me these days, just let another day pass on by??

No comments:

Post a Comment