Friday 11 May 2012

Winter blues

Hi everyone!  How was your week? Myself I am just taking it easy for the past two days by resting or sleeping to help get over this winter virus. I came down with the early stages of the flu and hayfever on Wednesday.  Actually I went to bed on Tuesday night with a migraine headcold but I wasn't expecting to wake up with a heavy head feeling on Wednesday morning.  At least my nose isn't like a running tap anymore but the hayfever hasn't stopped. I intend to be more affected at nightime and early hours of the morning.  At least last night I managed to sleep through without sneezing most of the night.  Right now my house smells like essential oils as I have been using three different oils regularly to help me to breath and sleep easier.
 
May as well say winter is on its way to our state in Australia.  Nightime isn't too bad until the early hours of the morning where the temperature gauge would drop to around 10 degrees, just before daylight arrives. The air conditioner is on standby as I intend to forget to turn off each morning.  Sometime after midnight the system will turn itself on and run regularly to keep the room the right comfort to sleep.  I have set the air conditioner at 20 degrees as I feel 24 degrees is abit too hot for nightime. Unless the temperature here changes to around zero or under on most nights, it would be a different story then. 
 
If it is a sunny day, the temperature will reach around mid 20's (degree celcius) by late morning.  It's wonderful to have sunny days to have laundry dried before the school hours ends. I'm sure the kids at school will enjoy their playtime outdoors when the sun is out.
 
Monique's class had their weekly cooking day on this afternoon.  They had a choice of either pumpkin or minestrone soup to make. She chose minestrone soup and it's quite yummy.  I am not really a soup person but this one is good:)  Take my word for it!
 
All you need is 2 large carrots, 2 onions, 2 zucchinis and 2 garlic cloves to slice/chop, 3 bacon rashers (chopped), one cup of uncooked small pasta, one can of crushed tomatoes and four cups of beef stock. Saute onions and bacon pieces in a large saucepan.  Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 20 mins. Serve hot! A perfect meal for winter or have the winter blues like me.
 
Rachel had two small servings of it already. My father wants my daughter to make him the pumpkin soup because he loves pumpkin.  I'm the only one who likes pumpkin in this household so I probably make the soup to share with him. His birthday is coming up so I make it for him for his birthday then. 
 
Rachel started to have cooking classes at her school too.  For their first week they made a zucchini slice. She didn't bring any slices home for me to try but Rachel did say it was yummy. I got the recipe of the slice and Rachel wants me to make it at home.  Once I get over this virus, I will make it then for her to consume.  She seems to enjoy eating zucchini.
 
To all mums and grandmas I hope you will have a lovely day with your family on Mother's Day (if your country celebrates this occassion on the same weekend).
 
Time to go and refreshen up before it gets too cool.
        Have a good weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I've got a great pumpkin soup recipe I made up myself if you'd like to try it out with your Dad. It's thick, rich and chunky. Jump onto my blog and look up the label: recipes.

    Then, scroll to the last one from 13th, September, 2011. I made up this one when I had a dreadful cold a few years back and swear by it! It will help you with your cold, is great comfort food and is beautifully delicious on a cold winter's night. :D

    ReplyDelete