Thursday 1 March 2012

Goodbye summer, Hello autumn!

Hi everyone!  How's things? Where did February go?  I can't believe it's now the first day of autumn but we still have summer temperatures here, which I think it will continue to be about for abit longer. But I have noticed our sunrise and sunset times are now changing.  I have to start walking at different times now in the late afternoons.
 
This week has been a mix bag of emotions.  Tragically we lost one of our peachfaces on Monday.  It was Monique whom first discovered the dead bird in the cage at breakfast time.  It was quite a shock to see a dead bird as I wasn't even thinking of it dying so soon.  I heard peachfaces can live up to 15 years. And this bird we lost was only 7 years old.  Causes were unknown in this case!
 
Now I am more concern about Gismo (our 2 yo cat).  On Tuesday afternoon we heard one of the new neighbours at the back has a dog that harms any cat.  Apparently this dog intends to jump over fences (up to 4ft tall) and hangs around in other yards, seeking trouble. Our back neighbour (we have known since I moved here) told us he seen a young cat (very similar age to Gismo and this cat was in our yard alot last month) in his yard and was harmed by this staffy breed dog on Tuesday afternoon.  The kids help our neighbour seek for the injuried cat but they couldn't find where it may of hidden.  I don't think this cat would of survived through the night as it might of had serious injuries. They think this young cat might of hidden inside of the drainage in their street and died in there.  Guess the community will know by the bad odour in a couple of days time.  Yesterday this dog showed up at my back door while I was on the phone to my Dad. All I could think of at that time, where was Gismo.  Luckily Gismo was outside in the front yard.
 
Had a good week at bowling.  Bowled all games over average on Sunday night and yesterday I won all the points in our social league. On Sunday Monique played in her first tournament for the year.  She didn't bowl over average or win any individual medals but the centre she represented for, came 1st!  Five kids who bowls for them went home with a medal or two for individual placings.
 
Last Saturday night I was out for dinner and movie to see THIS MEANS WAR with a friend.  We went out for a nice dinner at a league's club on the other side of town.  And watched some local entertainer singing some good songs.  Also I had a quick play on the pokies and managed to win $20.  Believe me I only spent $1 too!  It was around 1am by the time I was driving home from the destination. What a beautiful sight to see for the first time, the city lights from the Gateway Bridge.
 
This week I had two scrap meets.  A casual meet at the craft store on Tuesday and last night I had my first monthy workshop about creating an album about ourselves.  It's the kind of album you give to your kids. We completed a title page where you had to add some brief information about our name.  Where it came from and so on.
 
Better go as I have afew things that requires my attention this afternoon.  Have a nice day!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, no! So sad that one of you birds have passed away... and 7 years is good for a bird in captivity. Little Miss Stevie's breed lives up to 15 years as well; but I've been told to have a budgie live to 5 years is good, 7 years is great and anywhere beyond that is a blessing. So, I'm counting the days while I've got her; and I've told her (while cuddling her in my hand) that if she wishes to leave me and go where all the other budgies are, she can and I won't hate her. All she does is lick my nose and blow me kisses. :) I think I have her for a long time yet.

    As for that dog? Well, a roaming Staffie which attacks cats isn't a good sign. If the owner can't control their Staffie, they aren't a good owner (I should know, we owned a Staffie-cross and she rarely got out of the yard and we never let her attack fellow animals). If you're concerned about Gizmo, called the LCC and report the neighbour informing them that the dog gets out regularly without the owner and isn't on a lead. The LCC will come out and tell them to either control the dog or it will be removed.
    We know this as one time, at Mum and Dad's house over Christmastime, they had a trio of dogs that roamed the neighbourhood; and the owners let them out without leads. The dogs would terrorise the neighbours for hours until they were bored and went home. On Christmas Night (25th, December), Mum, Dad and I were just getting into the car when the pack rounded up Dad... he froze and I had to take control and get out of the car, then get Mum to be the third 'dog' of our pack. It was a terrorfying thing to do... but we also had to follow the pack back to their home to find out where they lived, call the police and when they arrived they took the dogs off the owners immediately because they put people's lives at risk. The owners were charged; but I'm not sure with what.

    So call the LCC about this owner before this dog becomes a danger.

    ReplyDelete